Thursday, January 25, 2018

January 25 to 28,, 2018- Staniel Cay

 January 25, 2018- On our way to Staniel Cay

6:00pm- Woke up to watch the sunrise.  The clouds interfere with the view but it was still colorful.  I was hoping to see stingrays jump out of the water but they did not choose to greet me this morning.
7:30am- Steve and I enjoyed our coffee while noticing a beautiful sun dog.  It is amazing how nature stands out when you are not in a developed environment. The little things seem grander than man made things.  You learn to appreciate it so much more.  
9:00am- Left Exuma Park.  Dr Jim ran aground once he got off the mooring however got off before the Rangers arrived to help.  The currents are very strong and you do not have a lot of room to manoeuvre.. 
This is how close you get to other boats when you enter or exit
.  

We decided to go out into the ocean to Staniel Cay. The sea was about 2 ft  swells but we had to go into the wind which makes it a bumpy ride.


11:30am-No luck in fishing today. Darn...we were ready for it. Arrived at Staniel Cay Marina.  The minute we pulled up to our dock, we were surrounded by sharks.  When fisherman arrive with their catch and fillet them, the Sharks are more than happy to eat the remains. 

12:30- We decided to join Ariel crew for lunch.  It was fun sitting their while the Sharks were swimming around. 

 

1:30pm-  Steve and I decided to ride our bike to a grocery and hardware store.  Believe me, it is not like our stores.  Very limited.  

2:30pm- Nancy and Susan wanted to come with us for a wet ride on the dinghy to see the pigs.  Susan went to the restaurant to ask for leftovers in order to feed the pigs.  And that is exactly what we did.  We had such a good laugh.  One of the pigs even tried to board our dinghy.  



Pigs and chickens together on the Island













4:45pm- We took a shower on the boat since this marina does not have showers or good internet.  We were all salty from the ride back from the pig island.

5:15pm- Steve joined Airial for cocktails while I worked on my blog.  We will be joining them at the restaurant at 7:00pm.  The restaurant is only opened from 7-9pm. 

7:00pm- Time to go out to dinner and it was pouring out.  Good thing I brought my umbrella however the tides must of gone down 3 ft and there was no way I could get off the dock without Steve's assistance.
Went to dinner at the marina restaurant with John, Susan and Nancy.  Dr Jim wasn't well and Katrina and Jan chose not to come.  When you check in to the Marina, they give you a menu with their dinner selections if you wish to dine at their restaurant.  You have until 4:00pm to let the bartender know your choices.  Steve and I selected the fish of the day (Mahi Mahi) which came with soup, salad, fish, baked potatoe and coconut creme pie.  

8:30- When Steve and I came back to the boat while it was still raining, I realized it was going to be more of a challenge to go down on the boat without getting my butt wet especially when I had a skirt on.  No fear, my super hero hopped on the boat and swooped me onto his shoulders and slowly raised me down.  Good thing no one was there with a camera. 

Watched a movie for awhile and then bed. 

January 26, 2017- Still in Staniel Cay

6:00am- Woke up to the rocking boat this morning.  It isn't raining however very windy.  The winds are suppose to calm down in a couple of days and then we will continue our journey. 
Tried to do some exercises while the boat was moving sideways.  I find it difficult to stay on a regular exercise program when moving from one spot to another but Steve and I will walk or ride our bikes.  

10:00am- Steve and I walked around town to explore.  It is comical how they have a house with a small sign saying Laundromat/Liquor store.  You walk in and one side has all the washing machines and the other side it liquor.  All their stores look like a personal house that is converted to grocery, hardware etc.  The small airport is in walking distance.  Only very small planes occupy it. We were going to go snorkelling in the caves however the winds where 20-25 knots and they do not recommend it unless better conditions.  

12:00pm- After lunch, Steve decided to try and get the water maker going while I made a spaghetti sauce for tonight   He still needs a new valve however he figured out how to get it going.  Good thing he is a plumber by trade. 

3:00pm- Steve and I decided to go explore the ocean side of the Cay.  We walked thru a cemetery.  I am always fascinated with old cemeteries.


We had to take a narrow path to the ocean.  



 

We walked on the Atlantic side of Staniel Cay




Once we got there it was absolutely breathtaking and very windy.  









It was sure blowing and you can feel the mist from the waves














 




You never know whether you can get back on the boat because of the tides. 

 


















5:15pm-  We worked up an appetite for my homemade spaghetti dinner.  Along with some wine, I serenaded Steve by playing my guitar.  What a lovely night to sit out in the cockpit. 

9:00pm- We watched a movie and then to bed in our rocking boat. The wifi sucks here.  Even with my data plan, for some reason, I can only get limited service.  I don't understand it when there is a huge satellite tower in town. Interesting. 

January 27, 2018 - Still windy
 
6:30am- Woke up to another windy day.  Don't have to do yoga on the boat since we are forever balancing everytime we are on the boat. 
 
10:30am- After having a great breakfast, Steve and I explored more of the beautiful Cay. 
We are getting our exercise walking but really enjoying the view. 


 











An old Bahamian racing boat # 17
  
Steve was the only one who actually went in the pool and then laid in the sun a bit while I finished one of my paintings. 

 
Wish I could grow bananas on my banana tree at home


 
Dr. Jim & John doing some serious reading
 
 
Notice our boat beside the big power boat.
















 4:00pm- Started making pizza for 5:00 when Dr Jim's crew will be joining us for pizza and margaritas. 
Steve beside Katrina & Jan
John, Susan & Nancy
5:00pm-Jim, Nancy, John, Susan, Jan and Katrina all came over for drinks, pizza and salad.  What a nice evening.  Katrina and Jan are flying out of Staniel Cay tomorrow.  We will probably be here until Tuesday due to the weather.
Susan, Nancy & Dr. Jim

 

7:30pm- Steve and I watch a movie and then off to bed.


January 28, 2018

I treated Steve this morning with pancakes.  We then drove our bikes around town.  We found a building Thunderbolt Club and Pirate Jacks which where shamefully abandoned.  
We proceeded to explore more of the Cay.  
 

Today was the day.  I wanted to touch and go in the water with the Sharks.  They felt like soft sand paper and were not interested in Steve or I.  Who would of thought I would ever touch a shark. 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  I cut Steve hair before we went out on the dinghy. We wanted to see if we could find the Thunderbolt Grotto cave hole where we could snorkel but it was too rough.  Thunderball Grotto apparently is supposedly one of the most exciting snorkelling trips. The James Bond movie Thunderball was filmed here as well as Never Say Never Again, Splash starring Tom Hanks and Into the Blue with Jessica Alba and Paul Walker.





Steve said on our way back from Georgetown maybe we will come back this way. 




   I later went to the pool and read while Steve spent time with Dr Jim and John. 







 
3:00pm-  Jan and Katrina left to go home from the Staniel Cay airport.  We saw their plane and I decided to take a photo of them flying over our boat.
 
 

We later went to the Marina bar and met great interesting people.  Paul, was the Captain of this new ship Horizon 120 and was from South Africa.
Horizon 120
Paul, the Captain with some of his crew

Dr. Jim's hero....diving for his cane
 
 
 While we were sitting talking to Captain Paul and some of the crew, Susan came by to say she dropped Dr. Jim's cane at the bottom of the sea while exiting the boat.  She didn't know what to do.  The Captain, Paul, volunteered one of his divers to go.  It was so funny because by the time I set up my camera, he was already in and out.  He sure earned some free drinks.
 
Steve and I had an extra FPYC burgee and we decided to hang it up in the Staniel Cay Yacht Club bar.

Steve hanging up the burgee

Can you see the FPYC Burgee?
 
Dr. Jim, John, Susan and Nancy joined us for drinks before dinner at the bar.
 
 
6:00pm- Steve and I went back to the boat and enjoyed a wonderful dinner.  We put away our bikes and got the boat ready for an early departure tomorrow morning.  We plan on going to Farmer's Cay.  The wind is suppose to calm down for a couple of days.
 




1 comment:

  1. Your photos of the beautiful skies are great Lise! Keep them coming! Big hugs to you & your super hero! xo

    ReplyDelete

The End

April 8, 2018 The boat was finally hauled out yesterday around 3:15pm at high tides. As we were coming out the winds were 20 mph and it st...